When you have diarrhea, your bowel movements (stools) are loose and watery. At our local Urgent Care Clinic in Northeast Oklahoma City, we know exactly how to help!
What Are the Symptoms?
You may have:
- An urgent feeling that you need to have a bowel movement
- Thin or loose stools
- Watery stool
- Nausea and vomiting
- Bloating in your belly
More serious symptoms include:
- Blood, mucus, or undigested food in the stool
- Weight loss
If you have watery stools more than three times a day and you don’t drink enough fluids, you could become dehydrated. That can be dangerous if it’s not treated.
What Causes Diarrhea?
Usually, diarrhea is caused by a virus that infects the gut. Some people call it “intestinal flu” or “stomach flu.”
It can also happen due to:
- Alcohol abuse
- Allergies to certain foods
- Diseases of the intestines (such as Crohn’s disease or ulcerative colitis)
- Eating foods that upset the digestive system
- Infection by bacteria (the cause of most types of food poisoning) or other organisms
- Laxative abuse
- Overactive thyroid (hyperthyroidism)
- Radiation therapy
- Running (Some people get “runner’s diarrhea”)
- Some cancers
- Surgery on your digestive system
- Trouble absorbing some nutrients (Doctors call this “malabsorption.”)
Diarrhea may also follow constipation, especially for people who have irritable bowel syndrome.
When Should I Call My Doctor?
Call your doctor immediately if you have:
- Blood in your diarrhea or black, tarry stools
- A fever that is high (above 101 F) or that lasts more than 24 hours
- Diarrhea lasting longer than 2 days
- Nausea or vomiting that prevents you from drinking liquids to replace lost fluids
- Severe pain in your belly or rectum
- Diarrhea when you come back from overseas travel
- Dark urine
- Smaller than usual amounts of urine or fewer wet diapers than usual in a baby or young child
- Fast heart rate
- Dry Mouth
Please visit our Urgent Care Clinic in Northeast Oklahoma City, walk – ins welcomed. Diarrhea can be serious, please do not delay, meet with one of our Health Care Providers as soon as possible.
Urgent Care Services NW OKC
Charter Immediate Care Clinic
NE CORNER OF MAY & BRITTON (IN THE LUBY’S SHOPPING CENTER)
9402 N. May Ave
Oklahoma City OK 73120